This course is accredited by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is approved for purposes of certification under Section 402 of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) (15 U.S.C. 2682). This course follows the joint EPA – HUD Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) curriculum. This course is a requirement for any agency or contractor who anticipates doing renovation work in housing or building stock that was built before 1978 and that has lead containing painted surfaces. This also includes those groups anticipating doing federally financed renovation work through HUD. Satisfactory completion of the course will certify the student to conduct renovation activity on painted surfaces containing lead and ensure that the client, contractor and environment are protected. (EPA certification of Certified Renovator). This one-day (eight hour) course will incorporate our state-of-the-art classrooms and labs.
- Identify health risks of over exposure to lead
- Recall the regulations and responsibilities and penalties related to lead renovation work
- Identify the actions that should be performed prior to starting lead-safe work
- Describe the containment requirements for interior and exterior containment
- Demonstrate work practices within a lead-safe containment
- Describe and demonstrate safe practices for breaking down lead-safe containment and checking for satisfactory cleaning
- List the types of records that should be kept to document lead-safe work practices
- Describe and demonstrate steps to training non-certified workers in lead-safe work practices
- Correctly test painted surfaces for lead containing paint
- Recognize possible symptoms of lead poisoning
The final test consists of two sections: one written and one hands-on. Students must pass the written section with a 80% score or higher and must successfully complete all of the hands-on proficiency sections. If a student does not pass a section, he or she will be allowed to retake that particular section in accordance with CHP Energy Solutions Research and Training's retesting policy.
Contact the Training Center for group pricing information