Janaka Casper, Chief Executive Officer of Community Housing Partners (CHP), has over 40 years of experience in housing and community development. As CEO, he communicates the organization’s mission, vision, values, and strategic direction. He also develops and maintains stakeholder relationships and funding, represents CHP on national, state, regional, and local boards, and ensures compliance with grantee programs and fiscal management.
During his tenure with CHP, the organization’s programs and activities have expanded across seven states in the southeast to include Real Estate Development, Housing Services, and Energy Solutions. CHP has assets of over $500 million, revenue of $87 million, and a portfolio of over 100 multifamily rental communities serving the elderly, formerly homeless, and disabled persons, as well as other individuals and families of low wealth and low income.
Mr. Casper has fostered the evolution of CHP’s mission to include a focus on sustainable, environmentally responsible development, resulting in numerous recognitions for the organization and its staff. Recent awards include:
- 2017 National Affordable Housing Management Association’s Top 100 Largest Affordable Multi-Family Property Managers
- 2017 Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award – Grissom Lane Apartments
- 2016 Viridiant (EarthCraft Virginia) Visionary Award, Janaka Casper, President and CEO, Community Housing Partners
- 2016 Viridiant (EarthCraft Virginia) Top High Performance Builder of the Year – Grissom Lane Apartments project
- 2015 Virginia Housing Award for Best Affordable Housing Energy Conservation Effort- Grissom Lane Apartments
In recognition of his role as an industry leader, Mr. Casper was invited to participate in the inaugural program of the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation and Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government for Achieving Excellence in Community Development. He was also honored with the National NeighborWorks Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award, selected by the Virginia Housing Coalition as an Architect of Change, and one of Virginia Housing Coalition’s Top housing leaders in Virginia.