The Warwick in Newport News, Virginia


Originally constructed in 1883, the Warwick Hotel was the center of Victorian-era downtown activity in Newport News, Virginia, before a fire destroyed the original structure in 1960. An addition built in 1928 survived the blaze and, in 1995, CHP transformed the remaining structure into permanent supportive housing units for formerly homeless individuals.

During the summer of 2013, another major rehabilitation was completed by CHP. Beginning in 2012, CHP’s in-house development, architecture, and construction teams undertook a year-long renovation to update the facilities and preserve this historic housing resource for the Newport News Community. The extensive work, which was performed to EARTHCRAFT green building standards, resulted in an improvement to the building’s energy efficiency by more than 50 percent.

Other improvements included a new roof, generator, and heating and cooling system; new bathroom sinks and toilets in each unit; a new community kitchen; two new elevators; upgrades to the security and sprinkler systems; repairs to the lobby’s decorative plaster ceiling; new historic windows and brick repointing; uncovering and refinishing the ground level’s terrazzo floor; installation of fresh air ventilation systems in common areas and each apartment; attic and crawl space insulation; and new ENERGY STAR lighting and appliances throughout the facility. 

The Warwick single-room occupancy (SRO) facility contains 88 units, each containing a private bath and a compact kitchen area. Shared spaces include two community lounges, a computer lab and laundry facilities, as well as an electronic surveillance and security system.

CHP's resident services division provides ongoing on-site employment training and educational opportunities that promote self-sufficiency, skill-building and economic stability for the residents, who include very low-wealth homeless and disabled individuals.

The Warwick illustrates the pivotal role of public-private partnerships in addressing a critical local housing need while restoring a historic downtown landmark.

Owner & Developer: Community Housing Partners
Architect: CHP Design Studio
General Contractor: CHP Construction
Resident Services: Community Housing Partners
Size: 88 one-bedroom units

Completion Date: Summer, 2013

Original Sources of Funds:
Newport News Urban Development Action Grant
FHLB/FUNB
CHP
Newport News CHDO HOME
Virginia Housing Partnership Revolving Fund

Sources of Funds for Rehabilitation:

Low Income Housing Tax Credit Equity
Federal Historic Tax Credits
State Historic Tax Credits
Deferred Developer Fee
Community Housing Partners Loan

Renovations were made possible through the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program along with federal and state historic tax credits. Additional funding assistance for The Warwick renovation was provided by Bon Secours Health System, NeighborWorks America, Newport News Redevelopment and Housing Authority, Virginia Community Development Corporation, and Virginia Housing Development Authority.

ONE-TIME BENEFITS TO LOCAL ECONOMY FROM CONSTRUCTION

Total value (cost) of construction, excluding land $4,292,300
Local business income $ 527,838
Local wages and salaries $2,248,663
Total local income from construction $2,776,502
Taxes and fees from construction $ 328,920
Local jobs (FTE) in construction and other industries 34

 

Click on address for directions:
2410 West Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607


CHP Design Studio
designstudio@chpc2.org
540.382.2002 x3337
Request information