Envelope and Duct Leakage Testing
Instructor-led course (205)
Envelope and Duct Leakage Testing is a one day course specifically designed for building contractors and HVAC technicians. The course will allow participants to understand the use of both the blower door and duct tester. Students will learn equipment set-up, basic building science, heat transfer modes, and common leakage sources found in typical homes. Manometer configurations along with mathematical calculations will be taught to check for code compliance. Students, by course completion, will be able to set up equipment, run diagnostic testing, and interpret the data that the equipment gives them.
State-of-the-art technology will be utilized in the classroom as well as the labs to provide students with the highest quality of learning. Several types of equipment will be available to allow participants hands-on training with leading brands currently used in the industry. Upon successful completion of two lab practical exams, each participant will receive a certificate of completion.
- Understand basic building science
- Understand terms and definitions associated with blower door and duct testing
- Perform blower door and manometer set-up
- Recognize common air infiltration sites
- Calculate blower door mathematics
- Perform duct testing and manometer set-up. (Total duct leakage)
- Understand common duct leakage sites
- Measure duct leakage to the outside. (Incorporating the blower door)
Skills you'll take home
- Blower door testing
- Duct testing
- Code compliance calculations
This is a lecture-lab course. Topics will be presented in a classroom setting and then followed up with student involvement in the lab. The class will be geared towards little or no previous training in the use of diagnostic testing equipment. Student participation is very important and will play an important role in the final grade.
Grading criteria and passing score
The final test-out consists of two sections: one blower door hands-on and one duct tester hands-on. The student must pass each section with an 80% score or higher. If the student does not pass a section, he or she will be allowed to retake that particular section in accordance with CHP Energy Solutions Research and Training's retesting policy.
- 21 points(17 points to pass)Hands-on Section Blower Door
- 15 points(12 points to pass)Hands-on Section Duct Testing
BPI Continuing Education Units
Contact the Training Center for group pricing information