Quality Control Inspector
Instructor-led course (211)
Quality Control Inspector (QCI) is based on a National Renewable Energy Laboratory/U.S. Department of Energy Job Task Analysis (JTA) of the same name. The course is broken down into a week of instruction focusing on the job description/duties outlined in the JTA. Students will be exposed to and practice the skills needed to become a successful QCI. These skills include: conducting a precise audit of the building, verifying the work performed against the work plan, observing the retrofit work, understanding specifications and standards, performing building and safety diagnostics, recording/reporting findings and concerns, specifying corrective actions, communicating effectively with the client, and determining the final pass/fail of the work performed. This course is designed to prepare qualified students to take the BPI Home Energy Professional Quality Control Inspector certification exam.
State-of-the-art technology is used in both the classroom and the labs to provide students with a high quality learning environment. Students will get feedback about learning progress by taking online quizzes via our Learning Management System (LMS) throughout the course. Students will take one written test, also delivered through the LMS, and one hands-on test of their QCI skills. Upon successful completion of these tests, each student receives a certificate of completion.
- Conduct work-in-process visual/sensory quality checks
- Conduct post-work visual/sensory quality checks
- Perform post-work diagnostic inspections
- Evaluate and ensure worker professionalism
- Inspect and assess the building envelope
- Ensure program or project compliance
Skills you'll take home
- Blower door testing
- Pressure pan testing
- Zonal diagnostics
- Exhaust fan flow verification
- Client, crew leader, & technician interaction
- Combustion appliance diagnostics
- Worst case scenario draft testing
- Work verification
- And much, much more!
This is a lecture-lab course. Topics will be presented in a classroom setting and then followed up with student involvement in the lab. The class will be geared toward those that have had experience in the field as auditors or crew leaders. Student participation is very important. Testing for this course will involve both a written and field practical.
Grading criteria and passing score
The exam consists of two sections: one written and one hands-on. The CAZ hands-on section is a timed exam with a time limit of one hour. Students must pass each section with an 80% score or higher. If a student does not pass a section, he or she will be allowed to retake that particular section in accordance with CHP Energy Solutions Research and Training's retesting policy.
- 75 points(60 points to pass)Written Section (delivered via our LMS)
- 35 points(28 points to pass)CAZ Hands-on Section
- 2Worker compliance with safety rules
- 12Worker professionalism
- 2Addressing work problems
- 10Determining client satisfaction
- 7Reviewing work scope
- 8Exterior and interior visual/sensory inspection
- 8Determining pass/fail of the work
- 2Comparing installed measures against guides and work scope
- 13Conducting health and safety tests
- 14Conducting diagnostic tests
- 13Identifying post-work problems
- 1Communication skills
- 2Professional credentials
- 2Funding allocations
- 4Close out of project (files/records)
BPI Continuing Education Units
December 3, 2018 at 9:30 am to December 7, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Location: 2101 14th St, Cloquet, MN 55720
Credit hours: 32.00
BPI units: 10.00
Space is available
Note: The BPI Home Energy Professional Quality Control Inspector certification is a separate test with an additional fee.
To enroll in this course, students must be 18 or older and pass a Quality Control Inspector prerequisite pre-test which assesses their literacy levels, understanding of basic math, and understanding of basic building science.
If you are a stakeholder and would like to provide feedback about our course, please use the contact form below.
Quality Control Inspector JTA Document (340 kb)
Quality Control Inspector JTA Document