On Campus Courses
Preparatory Course for BPI Envelope Exam
Instructor-led course (225)
BPI certified professionals are specialists in their chosen field(s). By attaining your certification, you demonstrate your knowledge and skills are among the best in the country – capable of diagnosing critical performance factors in a home that impact comfort, health, safety, durability and energy efficiency. All BPI certified professional designations are based on house-as-a-system fundamental building science. The designations are not meant to take the place of your other qualifications, but to enhance them and build upon them to make you one of the most valuable contributors to the home performance industry.
Our Preparatory Course for BPI Envelope Exam will teach you to quantify performance and prescribe improvements to help tighten the building envelope (shell), stop uncontrolled air leakage, and optimize comfort, durability and HVAC performance. The objectives and skills learned during this course are very similar to those of the Preparatory Course for BPI Building Analyst Exam, but with more emphasis on the building shell.
- Recognize the different factors that affect a home’s performance
- Assess the condition and efficiency of combustion systems
- Demonstrate combustion testing
- Complete a detailed assessment of the buildings envelope
- Record and assess the homes air infiltration data
- Explain the results found during the homes assessment
- Apply the house-as-a-system concept to building diagnostics
Skills you'll take home
- Blower door testing
- Zonal diagnostics
- Exhaust fan flow verification
- Combustion appliance diagnostics
- Worst case scenario draft testing
- Work-scope write up
This is a lecture lab course. Topics will be presented in a classroom setting and the followed up with student involvement in the lab. The class will be geared toward little or no previous training in the field. Student participation is very important. Testing will involve both a written test and a field practical.
BPI Continuing Education Units
The BPI written and field exams are included in the cost. Contact the Training Center for group pricing information.