Formerly Homeless Now Call Restored Hotel Home

The Warwick Lobby in Newport News, Virginia

Newport News, Va. -- Terrazzo floors that once gleamed underneath the heels of prominent Victorian-era guests shined once again on July 22 when permanent residents and employees of The Warwick joined Congressman Robert "Bobby" Scott and other project supporters to celebrate the recent renovation of the historic landmark.

Originally constructed in 1883, the Warwick Hotel was at one time the center of downtown activity in the city before a fire destroyed the original structure. Fortunately, an addition built in 1928 survived the blaze. In 1995, CHP transformed the remaining building into permanent supportive housing for formerly homeless individuals.

Beginning in 2012, CHP’s in-house development, architecture, and construction teams undertook a year-long renovation of the Warwick SRO with partial funding from the LIHTC program and federal and state historic tax credits.  The extensive work, which was performed to EarthCraft standards, resulted in an improvement to the building’s energy efficiency by over 50 percent and  included: a new roof, generator, and heating and cooling system; new bathroom sinks and toilets in each unit; a new community kitchen; two new elevators; upgrades to the security and sprinkler systems; repairs to the lobby’s decorative plaster ceiling; new historic windows and historical brick repointing; uncovering and refinishing the ground floor’s terrazzo floor; installation of fresh air ventilation systems in common areas and each apartments; attic and crawl space insulation; and new EnergyStar lighting and appliances throughout the facility. 

Today, The Warwick continues to provide housing for a traditionally underserved population while also offering free on-site residential services programs that promote self-sufficiency, skill-building, and economic stability.

“The Warwick  illustrates the pivotal role of public-private partnerships in addressing a critical local housing need while restoring an historic downtown landmark,” said David Schultz, CHP’s vice president of development.

Guest speakers included Congressman Robert Scott, Newport News Vice Mayor Herbert Bateman, Newport News City Councilwoman Sharon Scott, Graham Driver of Virginia Community Development Corporation, Edward Gerardo of Bon Secours Health System,  KC McGurren of EarthCraft Virginia, Pastor Jerome Barber of Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Temple, and two residents of the Warwick.

A tour of the property and light refreshments followed the ribbon cutting.

Additional funding assistance for The Warwick renovation was provided by Bon Secours Health System, NeighborWorks America, Newport News Redevelopment and Housing Authority, Virginia Community Development Corporation, and Virginia Housing Development Authority.